Boniface Catholic Church
Organ by Edmund Giesecke
of Evansville, Indiana
Maunals: 58 keys
Pedals: 25 keys
Open Diapason 8'
Geigen Principal 8'
Stop'd Diapason 8'
Flute D'Amour 4'
Coupler Sw. to Gr.
Coupler Sw. to Ped.
Coupler Gt. to Ped.
Swell expression pedal (right corner)
Two mechanical combination pedals:
-The one on the right brings on all Great stops.
-The one on the left removes Great principals 8', 4', 2',
leaving the Melodia and Dulciana on.
The oak console organ was purchased.
It has 10 ranks, and 535 pipes and the cost was $950.00.
Three bells were cast for the church by J.G. Stuchstede &
Brothers, of Saint Louis Mo.
(From church's website
Gieseke came to this country from the university town of
Goettingen, Germany, accompanying his father, who was carrying out
an order of a St. Louis church to erect an organ the Gieseckes had
built in their Goettinger shops. Young Giesecke decided to
stay in America and after a short say in St. Louis he came to
Evansville almost 60 years ago and engaged in organ building
here. Many churches throughout the Tri-state district
installed organs built by Mr. Giesecke, who followed the trade
that had been in the Giesecke family in Germany for many
generations until 10 years ago when failing eyesight caused him to
retire. Total blindness came to the veteran organ builder
three years ago. He died at his home at 320 Read St. at 4:20
p.m. Tuesday of influenza.
(From Edmund Gieseke's
Obiturary in the Evansville Press, December 26, 1928)
, is the home of St. Boniface Catholic Church,
established in 1847 by an immigrant Croatian missionary, Father
Joseph Kundek. The first St. Boniface Church was a log building.
In 1860 construction for the present St. Boniface Church was
started, but construction was halted during the Civil War. The
church has a stone foundation seven feet thick. A limestone slab
above the main door reads "ST. BONIFACE KIRCHE, 1865." The church
has beautiful wooden alters, and original stenciling on the
ceiling. The pillars in the church are made of tree trunks, that
are covered with plaster. The stones in the original baked stone
floor in the sanctuary were cleaned and refurbished. St. Boniface
Catholic Church was placed on the National register of Historical
Places on October 30, 1980. Located on highway 545 in Fulda.
(from the website